These are the books that I will read this year. Once I have begun reading them, I will link to blog posts about them. When I have finished them, I will indicate this with a “Yes!” (this is my reinforcer word for training Gus – I use it to tell him he’s done something well). I’ll add to this list over time. Update: May 2012 I rearranged the titles to be alphabetical for easier access for you and for me. Don’t worry about all the numbering systems, they come from different lists…
84) Fascinate [sic] Chinese Shadow Play: Appreciation of Treasured Shaanxi Shadow Play and Paper-Cutting (Author Unknown) (Gift) Yes!
89) The Puppy Diaries: Raising a Dog Named Scout by Jill Abramson #10 (K) Yes!
Harriet A. Adams
196) Dawn by Harriet A. Adams (kindle)
Lousia May Alcott
170) Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (kindle copy for Feminist Classics challenge) #33
493) Leaving a Shadow by Heather Allen (hard copy) Yes!
197) Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis (hard copy)
198) Winesberg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson (hard copy)
Virginia DeJohn Anderson
514) Creatures of Empire: How Domestic Animals Transformed Early America by Virginia DeJohn Anderson (kindle)
526) Deep Country: Five Years in the Welsh Hills by Neil Ansell (kindle) #53 Yes!
87) In a Dog’s Heart: What Our Dogs Need, Want, and Deserve – and the Gifts We Can Expect in Return by Jennifer Arnold #8** Yes!
199) Emma by Jane Austen (hard copy)
200) Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (hard copy)
201) Lady Susan by Jane Austen (kindle)
202) Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (kindle)
203) Persuasion by Jane Austen (kindle)
204) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (kindle)
508) Jane Austen: A Life by Claire Tomalin (kindle, library) Yes!
417) The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life by Leo Babauta (kindle)
49) Chris Bach’s The Third Way Comprehensive Reference Book (2nd Ed) HC This spiral bound book is available from her at her website: The Third Way .
50) Chris Bach’s The Third Way Article Booklet (2nd Ed) HC Available from her website: The Third Way.
126) Wicked Environmental Problems by Balint et al. (kindle, netgalley copy) Yes!
Honore de Balzac
124) Pere Goriot by Honore de Balzac (hard copy)
205) The Marriage Contract by Honore de Balzac (kindle)
206) Seraphita by Honore de Balzac (kindle)
207)The Lily of the Valleyby Honore de Balzac (kindle)
208) An Historical Mystery by Honore de Balzac (kindle)
209) The Hated Son by Honore de Balzac (kindle)
210) Ferragus by Honore de Balzac (kindle)
211) The Girl with the Golden Eyes by Honore de Balzac (kindle)
212) The Country Doctor by Honore de Balzac (kindle)
213) The Commission in Lunacy by Honore de Balzac (kindle)
214) Catherine de Medici by Honore de Balzac (kindle)
215) Bureaucracy by Honore de Balzac (kindle)
216) The Muse of the Department by Honore de Balzac (kindle)
217) An Old Maid by Honore de Balzac (kindle)
166) Balzac by Stefan Zweig (hard copy) #31
138) Lost Memory of Skin by Russell Banks (library, hard copy) Yes!
144) Cloudsplitter by Russell Banks (hard copy)
Bette Bao Lord
73) Legacies: A Chinese Mosaic by Bette Bao Lord (1990, HC, the author of Eighth Moon: The True Story of a Little Girl (1964)
438) The Romans by R.H. Barrow (hard copy)
218) The Complete Wizard of Oz Collection by Frank Baum (kindle)
Charles A. and Mary R. Beard
458) The Beard’s Basic History of the United States by Charles A. and Mary R. Beard (hard copy)
181) A Very Great Profession: The Woman’s Novel 1914-39 by Nicola Beauman (hard copy, library) Yes!
225) Looking Backward by Edward Bellamy (hard copy)
221) Mr. Sammler’s Planet by Saul Bellow (hard copy)
222) The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow (hard copy)
223) Dangling Man by Saul Bellow (hard copy) Yes!
224) Seize the Day by Saul Bellow (hard copy)
16) (Oops! two 16s) Billy Boyle: A World War II Mystery K
220) Anna of the Five Towns by Arnold Bennett (hard copy)
450) Life in the Third Reich by Richard Bessel, 1986 (hard copy) Yes!
509) A Million Shades of Green: The Real Story behind Fifty Shades of Grey by Sean Black (kindle) #44 Yes!
David and Julie Bloch
495) Moving Stillness by David Samuel Bloch and Julie Hagan Bloch (hard copy) Yes!
418) The Anatomy of Influence: Literature as a Way of Life by Harold Bloom (kindle)
219) The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio (hard copy)
524) behind the beautiful forevers by Katherine Boo (Pulitzer Prize winner) (library, hard copy)
413) An Unexpected Twist by Andy Borowitz (kindle single) Yes!
12) The Collected Stories of Elizabeth Bowen (1981, Ecco Edition 1989)
13) The Mulberry Tree Hermione Lee (ed.) (1986 Harcourt Brace Jovanovich) This book (according to the jacket) includes 40 years of her essays and nonfiction writings – it appears to draw from writings in the last 40 years of her life.
14) Pictures and Conversations: Chapters of an autobiography with other collected writings. (1974, Alfred A Knopf Press 1975). This was published shortly after her death.
193) The Heat of the Day by Elizabeth Bowen (hard copy) Yes!
194) The Last September by Elizabeth Bowen (hard copy)
195) The House in Paris by Elizabeth Bowen (hard copy) Yes!
226) Without Stopping by Paul Bowles (hard copy)
227)The Time of Friendship by Paul Bowles (hard copy)
17) Below zero HC
520) Twice 22 by Ray Bradbury, 1959 (hard copy, library)
189) Fishing in Utopia: Sweden and the Future that Disappeared by Andrew Brown (hard copy) #40 Yes!
228) Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte (hard copy)
229) The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte (hard copy)
228) Shirley by Charlotte Bronte (kindle)
229) Villette by Charlotte Bronte (hard copy)
230) The Professor by Charlotte Bronte (kindle)
231) The Life of Charlotte Bronte by Elizabeth Gaskell (kindle)
169) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (hard copy, for Feminist Classics challenge) Yes!
232) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (hard copy)
449) The Third Reich: A New History by Michael Burleigh (hard copy)
Francis Hodgson Burnett
532) The Shuttle by Francis Hodgson Burnett (epub/ibooks) Persephone Press ebook #56
533) The Making of a Marchioness by Francis Hodgson Burnett (epub/ibooks) Persephone Press ebook #57
419) A Strong West Wind: A Memoir by Gail Caldwell (kindle)
Roger A. Caras
550) A Perfect Harmony: The Intertwining Lives of Animals and Humans Throughout History by Roger A. Caras (hard copy)
437) Daily Life in Ancient Rome by Jerome Carcopino (hard copy)
528) The Path to Power (Volume 1 of The Years of Lyndon Johnson) by Robert Caro (hard copy, library) Yes!
552) The Ascent to Power (Volume 2 of The Years of Lyndon Johnson) by Robert Caro (hard copy, library)
527) The Passage of Power (Volume 4 of The Years of Lyndon Johnson) by Robert Caro (kindle, library)
1) K One of Ours (1922)
2) K A Lost Lady (1923)
3) HC Death Comes for the Archbishop (originally published in 1927, my copy is Knopf 1959)
4) HC Shadows on the Rock (Knopf [printing error on the frontispiece] 1931)
5) K Lucy Gayheart (1935)
6) HC Sapphira and the Slave Girl (Knopf [first edition] 1940 – her last novel)
Cather short story collections that I own but have not read:
7) K The Troll Garden (1905 – should be interesting as this would be her earliest work, predating Alexander’s Bridge (1912) which is the earliest work of hers I’ve read)
8) K Youth and the Bright Medusa (1920)
9) HC Obscure Destinies (Knopf [first edition] 1932)
125) Five Stories by Willa Cather(hard copy) Yes!
75) Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang (1991, HC)
265) The Stories of John Cheever by John Cheever (hard copy)
233) The Complete Short Novels by Anton Chekhov Trans. Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky (hard copy)
244) The Chekhov Omnibus: Selected Stories by Anton Chekhov Trans. by Constance Garnett (hard copy)
245) About Love And Other Stories by Anton Chekhov Trans. by Rosamund Bartlett (hard copy)
246) The Shooting Party by Anton Chekhov Trans. by Ronald Wilks (hard copy)
247) Three Sisters by Anton Chekhov Trans. by Tyrone Guthrie (hard copy)
248) The Plays of Anton Chekhov by Anton Chekhov Trans. by unknown. (hard copy)
249) Love and Other Stories: The Tales of Anton Chekhov by Anton Chekhov Trans. Constance Garnett (hard copy)
68) Brothers by Da Chen (HC, 2006, )
250) The Man Who Was Thursday by GK Chesterton (kindle)
251) The Defendant by GK Chesterton (kindle)
252) The Ball and the Cross by GK Chesterton (kindle)
253) All Things Considered by GK Chesterton (kindle)
254) The Man Who Knew Too Much by GK Chesterton (kindle)
255) The Wisdom of Father Brown by GK Chesterton (kindle)
256) The Awakening by Kate Chopin (hard copy/kindle) Yes!
18) Hallowe’en party HC
19) Death comes to an end HC
20) Cat among the pigeons HC
21) What Mrs Migillicuddy saw HC
480) The Art of Drowning by Billy Collins (1995, hard copy) Yes!
481) Picnic, Lightning by Billy Collins (1998, hard copy) Yes!
482) Questions about Angels by Billy Collins (1991, hard copy) Yes!
483) Sailing around in the Room by Billy Collins (2002, hard copy) Yes!
484) Nine Horses by Billy Collins (2002, hard copy) Yes!
485) The Trouble with Poetry by Billy Collins (2005, hard copy) Yes!
486) Poetry 180: A Turning Back to Poetry by Billy Collins, 2003 (hard copy) Yes!
103) The Foremost Good Fortune by Susan Conley (library – kindle) Yes!
257) Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad (hard copy)
258) The Rescue by Joseph Conrad (kindle)
259) Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (kindle)
420) The Case for Books by Robert Darnton (kindle)
260) Robinson Crusoe and A Journal of a Plague Year by Daniel Defoe (hard copy)
517) Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield (hard copy) #50
54) Great Books: My Adventures with Homer, Rousseau, Woolf, and Other Indestructible Writers of the Western World by David Denby
439) A History of Scandinavia: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland by T.K. Derry (hard copy)
470) The Unfolding of Language by Guy Deutscher (hard copy)
151) A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens (hard copy) Yes!
261) Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens (hard copy)
262) David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (hard copy)
263) Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (hard copy)
264) Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens (hard copy)
534) Mariana by Monica Dickens (epub/ibooks) Persephone Press ebook #58
129) Blue Nights by Joan Didion (hard copy, library) Yes!
474) The Stories We Tell Ourselves in Order to Live by Joan Didion (hard copy)
274) Winter’s Tales by Isak Dinesen (hard copy)
167) Fyodor Dostoyevsky: A Writer’s Life by Geir Kjetsaa (hard copy) #32
266) The Realms of Gold by Margaret Drabble (hard copy)
267) The Needle’s Eye by Margaret Drabble (hard copy)
268) The Millstone by Margaret Drabble (hard copy)
269) The Radiant Way by Margaret Drabble (hard copy)
270) The Witch of Exmoor by Margaret Drabble (hard copy)
271) The Red Queen by Margaret Drabble (hard copy)
272) The Seven Sisters by Margaret Drabble (hard copy)
273) The Sea Lady by Margaret Drabble (hard copy)
275) Twelve Men by Theodore Dreiser (kindle)
276) Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser (kindle)
277) An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser (kindle)
280) Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas (hard copy)
Willis F. Dunbar and George S. May
475) Michigan: A History of the Wolverine State by Willis F. Dunbar and George S. May (hard copy)
95) The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments, and the Psychology of Dogs by Nicholas Dodman Yes! Library
109) The Sailor from Gilbraltar by Marguerite Duras Open Letter Press
421) Steve Earle – Fearless Heart, Outlaw Poet: An Album-by-Album Portrait of Country-Rock’s Outlaw Poet by David McGee and Steve Earle (kindle)
90) Roger Ebert’s Movie Yearbook by Roger Ebert #11
22) Death Angels HC
139) Silas Marner by George Eliot (kindle copy) Yes!
141) The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (hard copy) Yes!
142) Middlemarch by George Eliot (hard copy)
143) Adam Bede by George Eliot (hard copy)
153) George Eliot by Kathryn Hughes (library, hard copy) Yes!
278) Daniel Derondaby George Eliot (kindle)
279) The Lifted Veil by George Eliot (kindle)
Stanley Elkins and Eric McKitrick
455) The Age of Federalism: The Early American Republic, 1788-1800 by Stanley Elkins and Eric McKitrick (hard copy)
David M. Ellis, James A. Frost, Harold C. Syrett, and Harry J. Carman
460) A History of New York State by David M. Ellis, James A. Frost, Harold C. Syrett, and Harry J. Carman (hard copy)
Richard J. Evans
446) The Third Reich in Power by Richard J. Evans (hard copy)
423) Elizabeth Street by Laurie Fabiano (kindle)
518) Stone Butch Blues: A Novel by Leslie Feinberg (hard copy) #51
492) The Best Loved Poems of the American People by Hazel Feldman (1936, hard copy)
281) Cimarron by Edna Ferber (hard copy)
282) The History of Tom Jones: A Foundling by Henry Fielding (hard copy)
283) Dead Yesterday by Ruth Fenisong (hard copy mystery)
108) The Museum of Eterna’s Novel (The First Good Novel) by Macedonio Fernandez Open Letter Press
F. Scott Fitzgerald
284) Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald (hard copy)
285) The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (hard copy)
133) The Beginning of Spring by Penelope Fitzgerald (library, hard copy) Yes!
134) The Gate of Angels by Penelope Fitzgerald (hard copy)
Gustave Flaubert286) Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (hard copy) Rubem Fonseca 107) The Taker and Other Stories by Rubem Fonseca Open Letter Press Karin Fossum 511) Black Seconds (An Inspector Sejer Mystery) by Karin Fossum Translated by Charlotte Barslund (kindle) #46 Yes! 512) Bad Intentions (An Inspector Sejer Mystery) by Karin Fossum Translated by Charlotte Barslund (kindle) #47 Yes! Jonathan Franzen 424) Freedom: A Novelby Jonathan Franzen (kindle) Charles Freeman 453) The Closing of the Western Mind: The Rise of Faith and the Fall of Reason by Charles Freeman (hard copy) Saul Friedlander 445) Nazi Germany and the Jews: 1939-1945 by Saul Friedlander (hard copy) Anatole France
287) Great Novels (Penguin Island, The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard, The Revolt of the Angels) by Anatole France (hard copy)
Fairbank and Goldman
64) China: A New History by John King Fairbank (2006, one of the most famous China watcher scholars) and Merle Goldman (his student, she updated his famous history of China) (HC) Yes!
502) Believing the Lie by Elizabeth George, 2012 (hard copy, library) Yes!
98) Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
281)The Moorland Cottage
283) An Accursed Race
284) The Half-Brothers
285) A Dark Night’s Work
286) My Lady Ludlow
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
291) The Sorrows of Young Werther and Selected Writings by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (hard copy)
292) Elective Affinities by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (hard copy)
293) Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (kindle)
294) Egmont by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (kindle)
295) Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol (hard copy)
296) The Complete Tales of Nikolai Gogol by Nikolai Gogol (hard copy)
436) In the Name of Rome: The Men Who Won the Roman Empire by Adrian Goldsworthy (hard copy)
472) How to Live a Low-Carbon Life: An Individual’s Guide to Stopping Climate Change by Chris Goodall (hard copy)
425) I’m Dancing as Fast as I Can by Barbara Gordon (kindle)
297) Monsignor Quixote by Graham Greene (hard copy)
298) The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene (hard copy)
106) Vilnius Poker by Richardas Gavelis Open Letter Press
190) The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths (Kindle) #41 Yes!
23) The black cat HC Yes!
24) When darkness falls K
191) A Friend of the Family by Lauren Grodstein (kindle) Yes!
555) The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War by David Halberstam (kindle) #64
52) Barbara S. (ironically!) Handler, Successful Obedience Handling: Put your best foot forward in the obedience ring (2nd Ed, 2003, Alpine Press)
299) The Last Joy by Knut Hamsun (hard copy)
297) Desperate Remedies by Thomas Hardy (kindle)
299) The Hand of Ethelberta by Thomas Hardy (kindle)
300) The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (kindle)
301) Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy (hard copy)
302) The Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy (hard copy)
79) The China Price: The True Cost of Chinese Competitive Advantage by Alexandra Harney (2009, HC)
426) The Last Child by John Hart (kindle)
Marie de Hennezel
462) Politics: Observations & Arguments by Hendrik Hertzberg (hard copy)
101) Country Driving by Peter Hessler (Kindle – library copy) Yes!
Carl Hiasson and Montalban
25) A death in China K
Mary Higgens Clark
26) Second time around HC Yes!
27) Silent night HC
28) My gal Sunday HC
192) Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero by Michael Hingson (kindle) #42
469) The Demon and the Angel: Searching for the Source of Artistic Inspiration by Edward Hirsch (hard copy)
488) How to Read a Poem and Fall in Love with Poetry by Edward Hirsch (hard copy)
489) Poet’s Choice by Edward Hirsch (hard copy)
Elisabeth Sanxay Holding
536) The Blank Wall by Elisabeth Sanxay Holding (epub/ibook) Persephone Press ebook #59
Jennifer S. Holland
518) Unlikely Friendships: 47 Remarkable Stories from the Animal Kingdom by Jennifer S. Holland (hard copy) #51 Yes!
304) The Illiad by Homer (hard copy)
303) Somewhere Off the Coast of Maine by Ann Hood (hard copy)
155) Feminism is for Everybody by bell hooks (hard copy, for Feminist Classic readalong) #20 Yes!
305) The Stories of Lu Hsun by Lu Hsun (hard copy)
Helen R. Hull
152) Heat Lightning by Helen R. Hull (library, hard copy) Yes!
156) Mayling Soong Chiang by Helen R. Hull (hard copy) #21 (over the pledge!) Yes!
157) Landfall by Helen R. Hull (hard copy) #22 Yes!
178) Islanders by Helen R. Hull (hard copy) #36
185) Quest by Helen R. Hull, 1922 (hard copy) #37 Yes!
186) Labyrinth by Helen R. Hull (hard copy) #38 Yes!
187) Last September by Helen R. Hull (hard copy – generous gift from Pat – thanks!) Yes!
188) A Tapping on the Wall by Helen R. Hull (hard copy) #39
182) The Feminine Middlebrow Novel, 1920s to 1950s: Class, Domesticity, and Bohemianism by Nicola Humble (hard copy, library) Yes!
306) Plays: One by Ibsen (hard copy)
307) Plays: Two by Ibsen (hard copy)
Ilya Ilf and Evgeny Petrov
121) The Golden Calf by Ilya Ilf and Evgeny Petrov Open Letter Press
81) Jar City: A Reykjavik Thriller by Arnaldur Indridason (K) (Mystery) #4
86) Steve Jobs by Walter Issaccson #7 Yes!
463) Six Thousand Years of Bread by H.E. Jacob (hard copy)
427) Never Say Die: The Myth and Marketing of Old Age by Susan Jacoby (kindle) Yes!
506) Climbing the Mango Trees: A Memoir of Childhood in India by Madhur Jaffrey (library, hard copy) Yes!
510) Fifty Shades of Grey: Book One of the Fifty Shades Trilogy by E.L. James (kindle) #45 Yes!
162) The Tragic Muse by Henry James (hard copy) #27
308) The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Fiction by Henry James (hard copy)
309) The Wings of the Dove by Henry James (hard copy)
310) The American by Henry James (hard copy)
311) The Ambassadors by Henry James (hard copy)
312) The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James (hard copy)
313) The Awkward Age by Henry James (kindle)
Sarah Orne Jewett
314) The Country Doctor by Sarah Orne Jewett (hard copy)
315) Old Friends and New by Sarah Orne Jewett (kindle)
316) The Life of Nancy by Sarah Orne Jewett (kindle)
317) Strangers and Wayfarers by Sarah Orne Jewett (kindle)
318) The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett (kindle)
319) Deephaven and Selected Stories and Sketches by Sarah Orne Jewett (kindle)
320) Travels in West Africa by Sarah Orne Jewett (kindle)
71) Beijing Coma by Ma Jian (2008, HC, another immigrant – this time to Europe) Yes!
61) Heavy Wings by Zhang Jie (1981, (HC) Yes!
Juan Jose Saer
118) The Sixty-Five Years of Washington by Juan Jose Saer Open Letter Press
452) Postwar: Europe Since 1945 by Tony Judt (hard copy)
525) Thinking the Twentieth Century by Tony Judt (hard copy, library)
Donald Kagan, Steven Ozment, and Frank M. Turner
454) The Western Heritage by Donald Kagan, Steven Ozment, and Frank M. Turner (hard copy)
A Cultural History of Animals Volumes 1-7 by Linda Kalof and Brigitte Resl (eds)
541) A Cultural History of Animals in Antiquity Volume 1 by Linda Kalof (ed) (hard copy) Yes!
542) A Cultural History of Animals in the Medieval Age Volume 2 by Brigitte Resl (ed) (hard copy)
543) A Cultural History of Animals in the Renaissance Volume 3 by Bruce Boehrer (ed) (hard copy)
544) A Cultural History of Animals in the Age of the Enlightenment Volume 4 by Matthew Senior (ed) (hard copy)
545) A Cultural History of Animals in the Age of Empire Volume 5 by Kathleen Kete (ed) (hard copy)
546) A Cultural History of Animals in the Modern Age Volume 6 by Randy Malamud (ed) (hard copy)
547) Making Animal Meaning by Linda Kalof and Georgina M. Montgomery (eds) (hard copy)
548) Looking at Animals in Human History by Linda Kalof (hard copy)
549) The Animals Reader: The Essential Classic and Contemporary Writings by Linda Kalof and Amy Fitzgerald (eds) (hard copy)
Alix Kates Shulman
99) Drinking the Rain by Alix Kates Shulman Gift Yes!
448) Fateful Choices: Ten Decisions that Changed the World, 1940-1941 by Ian Kershaw (hard copy)
443) The History of Mexico by Burton Kirkwood (hard copy)
105) The Conquerer by Jan Kjaerstad Open Letter Press
55) The New Work of Dogs by Jon Katz (2003, Villard Press) (ADE – Adobe Digital Editions ebook) Yes!
88) Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die by Jon Katz #9 (K) Yes
428) The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver (kindle)
Les Krantz and Robert Rodriguez
429) The Beatles: Fifty Fabulous Years by Les Krantz and Robert Rodriguez (kindle)
321) Barrack Room Ballads and Verses and The Phantom Rickshaw by Rudyard Kipling (hard copy)
322) The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling (kindle)
323) Kim by Rudyard Kipling (kindle)
173) Winston: The Dog Who Changed my Life by Hilmar Klute (hard copy, lent by a friend) Yes!
528) The Sojourn by Andrew Krivak (library, kindle) Yes!
184) Reading Jackie: Her Autobiography in Books by William Kuhn (kindle, library)
496) Always Beginning: Essay on a Life in Poetry by Maxine Kumin (hard copy) Yes!
168) Woodswoman III by Anne LaBastille (hard copy, library) Yes!
324) Quicksand by Nella Larsen (hard copy)
29) The blood spilt Trans. by Marlaine Delargy (hard copy) Yes!
127) Until thy Wrath is Past by Asa Larsson trans by Laurie Thompson (kindle) (#15) Yes!
537) Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Laski (epub/ibook) Persephone Press ebook #60
325) Independent People by Halldor Laxness (hard copy)
430) How we Decide by Jonah Lehrer (kindle)
473) The Perfect Thing: How the Ipod Shuffles Commerce, Culture, and Coolness by Steven Levy (hard copy)
326) The Small Rain by Madeleine L’Engle (hard copy)
Amy Le Feuvre
327) Probably Sons by Amy Le Feuvre (kindle)
328) Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux (kindle)
329) The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing (hard copy)
330) Arrowsmith by Sinclair Lewis (hard copy)
331) Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis (hard copy)
332) Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis (hard copy)
333) Main Street by Sinclair Lewis (hard copy)
334) Kingsblood Royal by Sinclair Lewis (hard copy)
335)It Can’t Happen Hereby Sinclair Lewis (hard copy)
336) Sinclair Lewis by Mark Schorer
115) Ergo by Jakov Lind Open Letter Press
161) Soul of Wood by Jakov Lind (hard copy) #26
104) Family Album by Penelope Lively Yes!
531) Aging Our Way: Lessons for Living from 85 and Beyond by Meika Loe (kindle) #55
431) Ordinary World by Elsa Lorello (kindle)
337) The Collected Stories of H.P. Lovecraft by H.P. Lovecraft (kindle)
114) Klausen by Andreas Maker Open Letter Press
468) The Library at Night by Alberto Manguel (hard copy)
30) Sidetracked HC (most of the way through it already) Yes!
31) The 5th woman HC Yes!
32) Firewall HC Yes!
338) In a German Pension by Katherine Mansfield (kindle)
339) The Garden Party and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield (kindle)
Gabriel Garcia Marquez
288) One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (hard copy)
289) Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (hard copy)
290) Collected Stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (hard copy)
97) The Power of Wagging Tales: A Doctor’s Guide to Dog Therapy and Healing by Dawn Marcus (Uncorrected Proofs!?) Library
340) Women and Appletrees by Moa Martinson (hard copy)
W. Somerset Maugham
341) The Razor’s Edge by W. Somerset Maugham (hard copy)
Guy de Maupassant
342) The Works of Maupassant by Guy de Maupassant (hard copy)
Neil M. Maher
513) Nature’s New Deal: The Civilian Conservation Corps and the Roots of the American Environmental Movement by Neil M. Maher (kindle)
Marcel Mazoyer and Laurence Roudart
466) A History of Agriculture: From the Neolithic Age to the Current Crisis by Marcel Mazoyer and Laurence Roudart (hard copy)
343) The Bigamist’s Daughter by Alice McDermott (hard copy)
344)That Night by Alice McDermott (hard copy)
Nellie L. McClung
350) Purple Springs by Nellie L. McClung (kindle)
345) The Ballad of the Sad Cafe and Other Stories by Carson McCullers (hard copy)
346) The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (hard copy)
347) Clock without Hands by Carson McCullers (hard copy)
348) The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers (hard copy)
349) Reflections in a Golden Eye by Carson McCullers (hard copy)
351)A Sweet Girl Graduate by L.T. Meade (kindle)
416) Both Ways by Maile Meloy (kindle) Yes!
352) Moby Dick, or, The Whale by Herman Melville (kindle)
Merle Miller and Nancy Pearl
530) A Gay and Melancholy Sound by Merle Miller (Book Lust Rediscoveries) (kindle) #54
353) The Red House Mystery by A. A. Milne (kindle)
72) Becoming Madame Mao by Anchee Min (2000, HC)
Lucy Maude Montgomery
354) Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maude Montgomery (kindle) I actually have about 10 of her books, but didn’t feel like typing them all in and not sure I want to read them ALL soon…
112) Gasoline by Quim Monzo Open Letter Press
113) Aracoeli by Elsa Morante Yes! Open Letter Press
160) The Book and the Brotherhood by Iris Murdoch (hard copy) #25
355) A Word Child by Iris Murdoch (kindle)
356) The Nice and the Good by Iris Murdoch (hard copy)
358) The Nervous Housewife by Abraham Myerson (hard copy)
Vicki Myron and Bret Witter
185) Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched The World by Vicki Myron and Bret Witter. Yes!
34) Death of an Englishman HC
35) Death of a Dutchman HC Yes!
National Geographic Society
74) Journey into China by the National Geographic Society (1982, HC)
359) Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (hard copy)
538) Dimanche and Other Stories by Irene Nemirovsky (epub/ibook) Persephone Press ebook #61
36) The Redbreast (K)
37) The Snowman (K)
505) Headhunters (kindle, library) Trans by Don Bartlett Yes!
102) The Leopard by Jo Nesbo Trans by Don Bartlett (hard copy) #14 Yes!
360) The River Between by Ngugi (hard copy)
361)The Venerables by Kathleen Norris (hard copy)
523) A Fanatic Heart: Selected Stories by Edna O’Brien (hard copy)
111) The Ambassador by Bragi Olafsson Open Letter Press
415) The Odds: A Love Story by Stewart O’Nan(hard copy, library) Yes!
362) Strange Interlude by Eugene O’Neill (hard copy)
Baroness Emmuska Orczy
363) The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy (kindle)
364) The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy (kindle)
365) The Elusive Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy (kindle)
366) Metamorphoses by Ovid (kindle)
367) Enormous Changes at the Last Minute by Grace Paley (hard copy)
368) Dorothy Parker Stories by Dorothy Parker (hard copy)
Thomas Love Peacock
369) Nightmare Abbey by Thomas Love Peacock (kindle)
370) Vida by Marge Piercy (hard copy)
371) Dance the Eagle to Sleep by Marge Piercy (hard copy)
372) The High Cost of Living Marge Piercy (hard copy)
487) Ariel by Sylvia Plath (hard copy) Yes!
478) Jersey Rain by Robert Pinsky (2000, hard copy) Yes!
479) The Sounds of Poetry: A Brief Guide by Robert Pinsky (1998, hard copy)
494) The 100 Best Poems of All Time by Leslie Pockell (ed) (hard copy)
373) Swann’s Way by Marcel Proust (hard copy)
374) In the Shadow of Young girls in Flower by Marcel Proust (hard copy)
375) The Guermantes Way by Marcel Proust (hard copy)
376) Sodom and Gomorrah by Marcel Proust (hard copy)
377) The Captive and the Fugitive by Marcel Proust (hard copy)
378) The Past Recaptured by Marcel Proust (hard copy)
379) Worksof Alexander Pushkin by Pushkin (kindle)
91) Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Three Pines Mysteries) by Louise Penny #12 Yes!
120) A Thousand Peaceful Cities by Jerzy Pilch Yes! Open Letter Press
38) In the shadow of Gotham K
171) The Book of the City of Ladies by Christine Pizan (kindle copy for Feminist Classics challenge) #34
59) The Lives of the Muses: Nine Women and the Artists They Inspired by Francine Prose (HC) #2
461) Democracies in Flux: The Evolution of Social Capital in Contemporary Society by Robert D. Putnam (ed) (hard copy)
80) A Glass of Blessings by Barbara Pym (HC, 1958)
128) Crampton Hodnet by Barbara Pym (hard copy, library) Yes!
529) Gossip from Thrush Green by Miss Read (hard copy, library) Yes!
507) Affairs at Thrush Green by Miss Read (hard copy, library) Yes!
554) Thrush Green by Miss Read (hard copy, library)
471) Life Stories: Profiles from the New Yorker by David Remnick (ed) (hard copy)
39) The veiled one HC
40) Wolf to slaughter HC
41) Speaker of mandarin HC
42) Harm done HC
519) Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys (had copy) #52 Yes!
183) Lost and Found in Russia: Lives in the Post-Soviet Landscape by Susan Richards (kindle, library). Yes!
380) Clarissa by Samuel Richardson
119) Death in Spring by Merce Rodoreda Open Letter Press
145) The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun by Gretchen Rubin (library kindle copy) Yes!
499) One Nation Under Dog: America’s Love Affair with our Dogs by Michael Schaffer, 2009 (hard copy) Yes!
465) A Thousand Years over a Hot Stove: A History of American women Told through Food, Recipes, and Remembrances by Laura Schenone (hard copy)
467) 13 Ways of Looking at a Novel by Jane Smiley (hard copy)
456) The Nation Comes of Age: A People’s History of the Ante-Bellum Years by Page Smith (hard copy)
457) Trial by Fire: A People’s History of the Civil War and Reconstruction by Page Smith (hard copy)
435) The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less by Barry Schwartz (hard copy)
422) Daughters of Decadence: Women Writers of the Fin-de-Siecle by Elaine Showalter (kindle)
432) A Jury of Her Peers by Elaine Showalter (kindle)
381) The Comforters, 1957 (hard copy) Yes!
500) The Ballad of Peckham Rye,
501) Memento Mori by Muriel Sparks (hard copy)
382) The Finishing School by Muriel Spark (hard copy)
383) The Charterhouse of Parma by Stendhal (kindle)
384) The Red and the Black by Stendhal (hard copy)
385) Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift (kindle)
93) Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch Yes! Library
131) Climate Change Science and Policy by Stephen Schneider et al. (eds) (netgalley ebook)
67) A Dictionary of Maqiao by Han Shaogong (HC, 1996)
440) A Taste for Adventure: A Culinary Odyssey around the World by Anik See (hard copy)
172) Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity by Julia Serano (kindle copy for Feminist Classics challenge) #35 Yes!
William L. Shirer
447) The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany by William L. Shirer (hard copy)
Sjowall and Wahloo
43) The man on the balcony HC
516) Mr. Tim of the Regiment: A Novel (kindle) #49
539) Miss Buncle’s Book by D.E. Stevenson (epub/ibook) Persephone Press ebook #62
Richard Stark and John Banville
82) The Score (Parker Novels) Richard Stark and John Banville (K) Mystery #5
444) prime green: remembering the sixites by Robert Stone (hard copy) Yes!
540) Saplings by Noel Streatfeild (epub/ibook) Persephone Press ebook #63
386) The Home and the World by Tagore (hard copy)
464) Food in History by Reay Tannahill (hard copy)
459) William’s Coopers Town by Alan Taylor (hard copy)
44) The Truth: A novel K
William Makepeace Thackeray
164) Pendennis by William Makepeace Thackeray (hard copy) #29
387) Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
45) The darkest room Yes!
Elizabeth Marshall Thomas
165) The Hidden Life of Dogs by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas (hard copy) #30
388) Great Short Works of Tolstoy by Leo Tolstoy (hard copy)
389) War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (hard copy)
390) Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (hard copy)
391) The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy (hard copy)
46) Murder takes the cake K
122) The Warden by Anthony Trollope (hard copy) Yes!
123) Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope (hard copy) Yes!
136) Autobiography by Anthony Trollope (kindle, free book) (#17)
137) Anthony Trollope by Victoria Glendenning(hard copy) (#18) Yes!
146) Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope (kindle)
147) Framley Parsonage by Anthony Trollope (kindle)
148) The Small House at Allington by Anthony Trollope (library copy)
149) The Last Chronicle at Barset by Anthony Trollope (kindle)
158) Can you forgive her? by Anthony Trollope (hard copy) #23
159) The Prime Minister by Anthony Trollope (hard copy) #24
47) The glass devil
392) The Novels and Stories of Ivan Turgenieff:A Reckless Character by Turgenev (hard copy)
393) Fathers and Sons by Ivan Turgenev (hard copy)
394) Smoke by Ivan Turgenev (hard copy)
395) On the Eve by Ivan Turgenev (hard copy)
396) First Love by Ivan Turgenev (hard copy)
397) A Month in the Country by Ivan Turgenev (hard copy)
398) Gunnar’s Daughter by Sigrid Undset (hard copy)
117) Nobody’s Home by Dubravka Ugresic Open Letter Press
Elizabeth Von Arnim
163) Elizabeth and her German Garden by Elizabeth Von Arnim (hard copy) #28
414) The Solitary Summer by Elizabeth von Armin, 1899 (kindle) #43 Yes!
96) In Praises of Goldens: Celebrating the World’s Greatest Dog Author: Voyageur Press Library
399) Candide by Voltaire (hard copy)
400) Fireweed by Mildred Walker (hard copy)
401) The Curlew’s Cry by Mildred Walker (hard copy)
402) The Quarry by Mildred Walker (hard copy)
403) Light from Arcturus by Mildred Walker (hard copy)
433) A Short History of Women by Kate Walbert (kindle)
434) Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls (kindle)
William W. Warner
442) Beautiful Swimmers: Watermen, Crabs, and the Chesapeake Bay by William W. Warner (hard copy)
451) Night by Elie Wiesel (hard copy) Yes!
441) A New History of India by Stanley Wolpert (hard copy)
404) The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells (kindle)
405) The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (hard copy)
406) The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton (hard copy)
407) The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (hard copy)
408) Hudson River Bracketed by Edith Wharton (hard copy)
409) The Voyage Out by Virginia Woolf (kindle)
410) Jacob’s Room by Virginia Woolf (kindle)
411) Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (kindle)
48) Before I go to sleep: A novel
92) In CHEAP We Trust: The Story of a Misunderstood American Virtue by Lauren Weber #13
Martha Weinman Lear
85) Where Did I Leave My Glasses? by Martha Weinman Lear HC Yes!
56) One Writer’s Beginnings by Eudora Welty, 1983 (hard copy) #1 Yes!
57) The Optimists Daughter by Eudora Welty (HC)
58) The Ponder Heart by Eudora Welty (HC) Yes!
154) Edith Wharton by Hermione Lee (hard copy, Wharton’s 150th birthday) #19
176) A Mother’s Recompense by Edith Wharton (hard copy) Yes!
130) Someone at a Distance by Dorothy Whipple (Adobe Digital Reader ebook) Publisher: Persephone Books (#16) Yes!
150) Greenbanks by Dorothy Whipple (library copy) Yes!
174) The Priory by Dorothy Whipple(hard copy, library) Yes!
175) High Wages by Dorothy Whipple (hard copy, library) Yes!
177) The Great Mr. Knight by Dorthy Whipple (hard copy, library) Yes!
179) The Other Day: The World of a Child by Dorothy Whipple (autobiography, hard copy, library)
180) Random Commentary (compiled from notebooks and journals from 1925 onwards) by Dorothy Whipple (hard copy, library)
116) To Hell with Cronje by Ingrid Winterbach Open Letter Press
63) China: the Rough Guide Chronicle by Justin Wintle (2002,) (HC)
Susan Wise Bauer
140) The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had by Susan Wise Bauer (kindle copy) Yes!
132) Virginia Woolf by Alexandra Harris (library, hard copy) Yes!
Susan Goldsmith Wooldridge
515) Attracting Native Pollinators: The Xerces Society Guide to Conserving North American Bees and Butterflies by the Xerces Society (kindle) #48
Zhang XinXin and Sang Ye
Adeline Yen Mah
70) Falling Leaves: The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah (HC, 1997)
78) The Corpse Walker: Real-life Stories, China from the Bottom Up by Liao Yiwu (2008, HC)
110) The Private Lives of Trees by Alejandro Zambra hard copy Yes! Open Letter Press
412) The Three Cities Trilogy: Paris, Rome, Lourdes (four books) by Emile Zola (kindle)
Happy Reading! Ruby
HC refers to hard copies, ADE refers to Adobe Digital Editions, and K refers to kindle copies. Books are numbered in the order they are mentioned in my blog. I bold new books purchased this year after my no more than 20 book vow.
- Posted in: 19th Century ♦ Adirondacks ♦ Alejandro Zambra ♦ Alice Munro ♦ Ann Patchett ♦ Anne LaBastille ♦ Anthony Trollope ♦ Anton Chekhov ♦ Barbara Pym ♦ Bei Dao ♦ book ♦ book blog ♦ book review ♦ books ♦ Brit Lit ♦ Charles Dickens ♦ China ♦ Chinese American literature ♦ Chinese history ♦ Chinese literature ♦ Classic ♦ classical education ♦ Da Chen ♦ David Wroblewski ♦ dog ♦ dog obedience ♦ dog training ♦ Dorothy Whipple ♦ Edith Wharton ♦ Edmund White ♦ Elizabeth Bowen ♦ Elly Griffiths ♦ Elsa Morante ♦ Eurdora Welty ♦ George Eliot ♦ Gretchen Rubin ♦ Helen R. Hull ♦ Henning Mankell ♦ Hilmar Klute ♦ Jerzy Pilch ♦ Jo Nesbø ♦ Joan Didion ♦ Johan Theorin ♦ Laura Grodstein ♦ Ma Jian ♦ Magdalen Nabb ♦ Marcel Proust ♦ Mystery ♦ Nicola Beauman ♦ Nicola Humble ♦ obedience compeition ♦ obedience trial ♦ Penelope Fitzgerald ♦ Penelope Lively ♦ Russell Banks ♦ Russia ♦ service dog ♦ short stories ♦ Soong Mayling ♦ Steve Jobs ♦ Stewart O'Nan ♦ translation ♦ Victoria Glendinning ♦ Victorian ♦ Virginia Woolf ♦ Willa Cather
- Tagged: american literature, book, book blog, books, british literature, classic, dog, dog training, elizabeth bowen, literary fiction, literature, mystery, Willa Cather, women